HBO Series Recent Posts

Search

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Login

 

The Killing of Georgie Rod Stewart Part 1 & 2

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The beginning is priceless - good laugh but a song with a serious message. Includes both Part 1 & 2 . Songwriter - Rod. SONG MEANING / about this... - This song about the murder of a homosexual by a New Jersey gang was one of the first songs to deal with the subject of homophobia. In the May, 1995 issue of Mojo, Stewart explained: "That was a true story about a gay friend of The Faces. He was especially close to me and Mac. But he was shot or knifed, I can't remember which. That was a song I wrote totally on me own over the chord of open E." Asked about writing a song with a gay theme, Stewart said, "It's probably because I was surrounded by gay people at that stage. I had a gay PR man, a gay manager. Everyone around me was gay. I don't know whether that prompted me into it or not. I think it was a brave step, but it wasn't a risk. You can't write a song like that unless you've experienced it. But it was a subject that no one had approached before. And I think it still stands up today. I'm going to be doing that song when we play in Britain."

Post a comment